View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
The Canada / World Cup were less biased towards North Americans than IIHF tournaments in that time were biased towards Europeans, so I'm not sure what your point is.
I think you can make a distinction between the Canada Cup and the World Cup. In the Canada Cup, you had mostly a matchup between Canada and the Soviets. Other countries were competitive at times, but it came down to those two in terms of who was going to win. By the time the World Cup came about, the Soviet Union was extinct, and it was basically an intramural tournament for NHL players. Russia stopped producing hockey players by about 1992, and the Russian teams in the tournament in 1996 and 2004 were admittedly garbage.

In my view, its impossible to have a tournament which is produced, directed, funded and staffed by one of the participant countries and still have a fair, level playing field. I am sure that Canadians are as fair-minded as any people on Earth, but its impossible to have those conditions and not meddle to create a competitive advantage for your side. You own it, you have the right to do it, so you do it. The fact is that the two teams in 1984 and 1987, man-for-man, were so incredibly close that just a handfull of calls and executive decisions could make the difference.

In 1984, the Soviets beat Canada in the round robin, 6-3, and Alan Eagleson blamed the referee, Dag Olsson of Sweden, for the bad result. He made the statement that no European would referee a medal round game again, and his decree stood through the last Canada Cup in 1991. EbencoyE is right - it is unfair to the referee and to the team from the other country to have a game refereed by someone from the home country *Note, the referee in the medal round game between Canada and the Soviets was American Mike Noeth - a minor league ref who was a candidate for an NHL job - thereby putting him under tremendous pressure to please his prospective employers. The 1987 games were refereed by Canadian Don Koharski (twice) and Paul Stewart. Its not so much calls that were made, but more so those that were let go. In the final, decisive match in 1987, the refereeing was egregiously biased, and you'll hear a lot of Russian fans *****ing about it to this day.