View Single Post
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Say what now?... the intangibles, everything Maurice Richard brought to the game & the ice, depth of play, a complete game changer in comparison to Boom Boom, and quite a different animal altogether from a Jagr. If you feel JJ is a superior player, and I can empathize, appreciate & do respect such an opinion, no problem. Agree to disagree on that one, but you wont hear me suggesting Jagr is legendary for pimping Czech culture and not hockey, something that in both cases transcends points of origin. Sure, xenophobia exists even still between English & French Canada, Canada & the US, Europe, and it surely is a shame, but to suggest that someone thinks Richard is 5th Best All Time simply because of some dated anachronistic revisionism in buffing his resume' as Hero of Quebec? Well, thats just disingenuous. It belittles the player that he was.
I'm suggesting that he was placed ahead of Geoffrion at the time by Montreal fans and papers due to his "aura" as the "hero of Montreal".

Think about Paul Henderson, and how people want him in the Hall of Fame because of his three goals in the last three games of the Summit Series. Now think about the same kind of "national hero" idea being applied to a player like Richard, who was already one of the best players and not an average second/third liner like Henderson.

Does that make sense to you?

And for the record, I have already stated that I am fine if someone wants to consider Richard 5th; that it's a completely valid position. But what you did in your post was not only bashed a great player in Geoffrion, but labeled me as saying Richard was only getting such a ranking from some due to his "aura" as it were.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote