View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Game time. That's the biggest thing that's killing baseball in my opinion. The NHL did a great thing when they cut out a lot of the crap and got the games to almost a uniform 2 1/2 hours. Basketball games last 2 hours. Football...well they're an exception that's able to get away with it because they only have one game a week (and the simultaneous nature and constant downtime allows things like NFL RedZone to thrive...you can't do a RedZone-type thing for any of the other sports).

But baseball games can take anywhere from under 2 hours to...well 20+ inning games can take ~6 hours, but the big issue for me is the fact that the Yankees and Red Sox are on TV all the ****ing time...and their games take forever. I read a stat last year somewhere that said that Yankees-Red Sox games lasted a full hour longer than the average game in the National League. Games like that are a 4 hour time investment with less than 10 minutes of actual action involved.

Shave that down to 2 1/2 hours and I'm loving it, but the games just last too long. When you have 30-40 seconds between pitches watching the sport on TV just becomes a chore. I love baseball, it's in my blood and if being a Pirates fan since 1993 hasn't killed my love of the sport then nothing will...but I can't watch games that don't involve my favorite team and I have to be doing something else when watching Pirates games to be entertained. When I watch a Penguins game I'm watching the Penguins game. When I watch a Pirates game I'm watching it on one screen while I play MLB [Insert Year Here]: The Show on another screen.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick