Thread: Proposal: Trade Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
All this talk of trade offers and guys we should go after. Interesting discussion for sure. Do we make a trade? Do we wait for free agency and throw big money at some of the guys that will potentially be out there? What are the real needs of this team? Are Wilson and Smith the future number 1 and 2 centers of the team?

These are all tough questions to answer and we have no idea the direction Poile and Trotz want to take the team. We know we need an upgrade at the forward position skill wise so who do we target or go after? If it's me, I go after Backstrom. Washington has a few players but no depth. We have some depth to spare and need a guy up front that will make others around him better. He's not a sniper but he is an elite playmaker. He's also a solid two way center on a long term deal that is not that terrible. With Washington tanking, they may be in for a rebuild. While I wouldn't be thrilled to trade Smith in a deal for him, I think it would be a major upgrade and we'd still have Wilson to team with him. Package Smith with a defenseman and a top prospect and maybe a pick and it could be a very enticing deal.

The other option would be to go hard after Perry. While he can be a bit of guy you hate to play against, the guy has skills on both sides of the puck and gives us a legitimate threat up front. I think Getzlaf, while a very good player, isn't necessarily the game breaker I'd be hoping for, especially at the price he's going to get if he hits the open market.

Guys from Buffalo don't interest me unless it's Vanek but with his contract I'd still probably say no. Weiss last year would've been a good pickup but he has sucked royally this year. Lots of guys around the league that look good on paper but are the same type of player we already have. We need elite players, not more of the same. Whether we make moves via trade or free agency to land these sorts of players is another story.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote