View Single Post
Old
12-20-2003, 07:28 AM
IslesFan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
The problem isn't Yashin's wingers, it's the man himself.

In Ottawa, he played with Dackell and McEachern. Not exactly all stars. The only thing exceptional about those players was the defensive play of Dackell (letting Yash forget about defence) and the speed of McEachern (stretching the defence). You can't tell me the Isles don't have players of that calibre.

Yashin is a one man line. He hogs the puck and has a great shot. He can make some great passes but most of Yashin's assists (and McEacherns goals) came off of Yashin rebounds. He doesn't need a scoring winger. He is the scorer on any line that he's on.

Further proof Yashin is the problem and not the team? His own statistical history. Playing with Dackell and McEachern on a very trap oriented Sens team he was over a point a game. That was putting up points when the team should have dragged down his stats. His first year on the Islanders, with much the same players that he has now, he put up not quite a point a game (after a year long layoff).

The problem with Yashin is Yashin. He's done better in the same or worse situation before.
But the problem is, I'm sure McEachern and Dackell got him the puck for scoring chances.....alot. The Islanders don't have any playmakers, it's very difficult for Yashin to get a good scoring chance without one.

I'm sure effort plays a good part in his disappointing stats, but the guy's game has had to change with the isles. Everytime he's got the puck he's starting from behind the opposition's net. He doesn't have those good forechecking speedy wingers that make up for Yashin's lack of speed.