View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 10:52 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I don't actually mind the whole four division setup, but I don't get why the league's so stuck on division matchups in the first two rounds of the playoffs, especially when you might not get one or two in the second round with the 'wild cards' anyway. Have the division winners only get guaranteed playoff berths, have the other twelve teams be wild cards (six per two divisions, keep the conferences) and then division imbalance isn't an issue and you have the playoffs relatively the same as is now.
Giving division winners just a playoff birth isn't a reward for winning the division (making it meaningless). There is not been a situation where a division winner would not other wise make the playoffs on points (there have been a few where they would be 8, but not out). And that is under a 3 division per conference format. It would never happen under a 2.

The reason why the league wants division playoffs is to build up rivalries, especially in the west where most of the newer teams are. Rivalries in the first two rounds can hook viewers in that you hope stay for rounds 3 and 4 where the stakes are high and the series are already intense.

But all the concessions the league has made over last year just undercut all the reasons to do it. At this point I think it may be better and just pull an NFL and leave Winnipeg in the southeast until expansion comes to reorganize.