Thread: Speculation: Re-alignment
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSauce View Post
Living in Edmonton I'm surrounded by Oiler fans so I know a little bit. Their D prospects right now are enticing with Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil coming up. Prospects don't always pan out but atleast 2 of those 4 should make it to the Oilers. Currently lacking in D but Justin Schultz has been a great addition for them.

For that 1994 draft, their 6th pick was Ryan Smyth...

MacT I used to always dislike since the oilers were always a grind it out team with little flash, but he was able to get a decent amount out of what he had to work with. And I doubt he is worse than the Todd...

Do I believe the Oilers management could be better? Yes, but it is heading in the right direction and their later round scouting has been better recently (starting in 2007 I'd say). They've made strides from the 90's oilers IMO
MacT was worse than the Todd because he fell into non-creativity. He also had issues as a motivator with his old school style which doesn't work well with players who are getting their wealth early. The days of fire breathers are almost done. The Todd doesn't shoot himself in the foot on the motivational side and he is at least somewhat creative. His record with the PP prior to this year is outstanding. It isn't just having a high number on PP, it is taking a good PP and achieving even better numbers. It is differential, not the raw number.

In terms of drafting, I will give you one Oiler success who stands out because he is the exception, Petry. I am looking for guys drafted past round one who can aspire to more than last pairing or lower line minutes. Guys who, if traded, can garner more than 200 games elsewhere. Not guys who fall out of the NHL scene as soon as they leave the Oilers. All teams will have prospects show up for half seasons or more when injuries or personnel shortages dictate it. The Oilers later rounds are absolutely pathetic.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote