Thread: Matt Carle
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 PM
fauxflex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Really enjoyed watching some of those clips, FauxFlex.

They still need a good PMD, though, IMO.
Just got done watching the game tonight against the Caps (4-1 win). The D was mostly great, and excelled at moving the puck up and out of the zone all night and was a big reason the play was tilted mostly toward the Caps end of the ice.

I can post another 30 or so clips from tonights game with Grossman, Gervais and Schenn each showing more dynamic puck moving (skating and passing) out of the defensive zone than Carle typically shows. I know, for some this is hard to fathom., but it's just the reality of it. As a couple others have noted, the problem isn't the D not being able to move the puck, it has more to do with the forwards not supporting or maintaining posession through the neutral zone and bearing down on the forecheck. Tonight though, they made the most of it. Grossman started the breakout on the early first goal. The rest of the D, was active and moving the puck really well all night. Schenn, though not perfect, was a formidable two-way force, he made a great puck moving play to set up Talbot's goal and numerous other passes up tot eh O from the d zone and of course a ton of HITS. Gervais skated and made solid passes/plays just about all night. Grossman is just a revelation to me. He can move the puck really well with decisive skating and passing plays out of the zone. He also makes good keeps and pinches in the o zone, rarely getting beat back. He's also a defensive force with his physical game and league leading blocks. Regarding his puck moving, I know it sounds crazy to some, but I would honestly give the edge to Grossman, primarily due to his ability to consistently skate the puck up the ice, something Carle seemed to avoid if he could. Grossman also makes some nice, decisive passes so his passing game is there too. I just hope the guy stays healthy. He's the best D man on the team right now imo.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote