View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
While there is a good chance that a few of those D prospect become NHL level Dmen I am not sure any are solid bets on becoming 1/2 on the blueline.

I am not too sure how you rank management of a team that has been at the bottom of the league for so long, even if they rise how much of that is about lottery picks?
How many teams have No.1 or No. 2 D men in their system though? They are very hard to come by and honestly with the Oilers picking so high you have to take the best player available eventhough you're weak on D. The most likely No.1/2's go top 5-15 in the draft, leaving usually good D men to pick up but they usually play either the No.3 or No.4 role barring exceptions (Shea Weber, 2nd Round 2003 comes to mind immediately, or Keith) . The only way I think the oilers could've picked up some higher blue chip D prospects (No. 1/2 potential) would have been package their 2nd or 3rd round picks to move up.

I agree that their management isn't great, I'm arguing it's better than the 90's regime though (which is sad). I believe they won't be Chicago or Pittsburgh since they haven't drafted a Toews+Kane or a Crosby+Malkin (Ebs, Hall, Yak, and RNH are good but I think a cut under Chi/Pitt's stable) and Kevin Lowe and other Oiler Brass is still there, bad mojo IMO.

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote