Thread: Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 11:15 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
THE FACT IS I have never said, nor do I want Granlund to "fail". Search everyone of my posts and you will not find one where I say I want him to fail.

I just can't believe that so many of you keep making excuses for the kid. (It's yeo's fault, its the other linemates fault, its the system's fault, etc.) The fact is the kid is NOT producing like so many of you were adament he would. Apparently my pointing out that he is not the superstar thus far that everyone guaranteed makes me a "hater", when I'm really just being realistic.

All the other Wild players seemed to get ripped on when they play poorly, but if someone dares point out Granlund's poor play, repeated offsides, etc. it is treated like you mother was slapped in the face. He may be your Finnish Baby Jesus, but he still is just as open for criticism as Heatley, Koivu, Cullen, etc.

The reality at this point in his career is that Granlund was over-hyped and over-rated prior to coming to the NHL about how good he would be in the NHL. And contrary to what some posters said, I actually DID watch Granlund play quite a bit before he joined the Wild, and based on what I saw, I felt he would struggle in the NHL. Being small, weak, and not fast is NOT a good combination for the NHL. Sure it worked for him in Finland, but that is a different league and different size rinks.

I WANT THE KID TO SUCCEED, because he plays for the Wild. But at this point, I feel the best thing for him is to play in he AHL. He needs to get more time playing top minutes in the AHL, where he can hopefully get better acclimated to the NHL style. But my prediction is sadly that with his skill set, Granlund will to continue to struggle in North America unless he spends some significant time in the AHL first.

Everyone is saying that we expected too much of him too soon and we are going to have to be patient and wait possibly a couple of years maybe even 2-3 years to wait for him to figure out his game in the NHL and become the player we thought he would be from the get go.

Your the one needlessly ripping him, nitpicking, pointing out every mistake possible and not giving him credit when he does play a decent game...while exaggerating and going out of your way to point out any small thing he does wrong if he does something wrong.

If you actually read the majority of us agree that he was overhyped, but the majority of us also agree that he still will become a good player--he is too talented, with too large of a body of work, and too driven of a player not too succeed.

What would the AHL do for him? He dominated the AHL when it was stronger competition than it is now. DOMINATED. While, battling through injuries and thus conditioning/chemistry problems + adjusted to a smaller rink he scored a point a game. HE DOMINATED. He isn't going to gain anything down there.

Granlund, whether you agree or not, is slowly, but surely getting better, improving and figuring out how to succeed at this level. Watch the game without looking to find any small mistake he makes...you will notice he makes a lot of good plays too.