View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Except didn't Gare get a lot of time with Perreault in his best two seasons? TDMM mentioned something about that, and at any rate, Gare's linemates were good even-strength scorers. I dunno how we evaluate powerplay opportunities in this case.
Gare's 3 best seasons are 1976, 1980, and 1981. 1976 seems like a legit Ramsay-Luce-Gare season, but I don't think the other two were.

Gare seems to have been put on the first unit PP starting in 1980. Gare was actually 2nd in the league in PP goals in 1980 (though he was also 2nd in even strength goals). Before 1980, it seems Gare rarely got PP time, which of course includes his wonderful 1976 season.

Buffalo traded Rene Robert after 1979, so I would not be surprised if Gare became Perreault's full-time RW starting in 1980, which would mean 2 of Gare's 3 best seasons would be full time with Perreault. Either way, Luce's point totals declined quite a bit in 1980 and he was traded away at the 1981 deadline. Luce was 6 years older than Gare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Gare received extensive PP time for two seasons, 79-80 and 80-81. But in those years, he was still 2nd and 10th in ESG in the entire NHL. In those seasons, I think Robert may have switched to play the point on the PP and Gare took his spot as the RW on the first PP unit. I'd have to think Walker was consistently on the PP for his team for most of his career, no?
When Walker played, starters still played the full 60 minute, right? (does anyone have a good year to estimate when that stopped?)

As I said above, Robert was traded away after 1979.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote