View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
I'll give my two cents on Turgeon as an Islander:

- first things first, Pierre Turgeon improved New York's powerplay considerably. He came to a powerplay headlined by such luminaries as Patrick Flatley and Brad Dalgarno, and immediately made them respectable. The powerplay went from being a horrible joke to pretty average, and that was mainly because of Turgeon.

- Isles fans, when he was not setting up scores on the powerplay, never really cared much for Turgeon in spite of what he brought to the team, for a few reasons, I think.

1) he was guilty of the terrible crime of not being Pat Lafontaine.

2) he had that reputation coming from Buffalo of being soft, and well...that was simply not Islanders hockey.

3) Turgeon was not a particularly good even-strength player on the Island. He didn't really fit into Arbour's checking system, wasn't in the slightest bit physical, and basically took every shift like he was on a powerplay - pecking around the perimeter and trying to make a pretty backdoor pass or set up a one-timer while his linemates did all the work. This was stylistically not what Isles fans were accustomed to, but it is also a legitimate gripe about Turgeon's play. I would say that Turgeon was only New York's best even-strength player in one of his three years on the Island (the one huge scoring season). Other than that, Steve Thomas was definitely better.

I basically view Turgeon as a better version of Brad Richards: a great powerplay ringer (on the half-boards rather than the point), who is a very ho-hum even-strength player for a 2nd line at the ATD level. He's consistently a good value because he always seems to go lower than Richards for some strange reason and I think the hate and the "Tin Man" talk is overblown, but Turgeon is one of those guys who played even-strength hockey like thought he was on a powerplay, and those guys are of limited value. For what it's worth, the Islanders had a bad run of that type of player for a while there after Lafontaine was traded. Ziggy Palffy was cut from the same cloth, though he at least backchecked some.