View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think those examples prove that teams give up 9th overal type picks all the time, or that the Avs will find it easy to get another big piece in addition to that like we're talking about.

The leafs are not the standard bearer for trade value on draft picks. Like you mentioned they could have had Rask and Couture, along with Seguin and Hamilton if they just stayed a little patient.

Staal had and has a lot more value than O'Reilly, especially to the Canes. They probably were worried the Rangers would outbid them, and make a flashier choice for him to go play with Marc. In which case Eric would follow in a few years. My guess is they'd probably be right on both accounts.

The Avs gave up a 1st for Varly, which is something most GM's in the league wouldn't have done. They overpaid at the time no matter what people want to say, but it worked out well for them.

In order to get the kind of extra value in this trade you're suggesting, Sherman is going to have to be both extremely patient, and lucky. Some other team is going to have to get desperate, and take a risk on giving up some big pieces, because they want to shake things up.

I have my doubts we'll get to that point this season, but we'll see.

What I don't get though is why you and others hate this idea of MDZ, but want a young Adam Foote as you call him in Trouba. That's his ceiling, and we have no need for that type of player. You can find a player to fill that role every UFA period, and not have to overpay for them. Hejda plays that role fine. We can bring in Regehr if they want that kind of player in the summer.

They need offense from the blueline, not another Hejda or EJ. And that's if Trouba gets to that level, and they'll have to wait four or five years for him to fully develop.

It's tough to find those offensive guys, and you'll have to shell out huge contracts like Carle got as a UFA's.
I don't know what to tell you. Do you want me to lie and say "ah yes, I've seen MDZ play on more than 20 different occasions and I love this guy?!?". I call 'em like I see 'em. I'm not a fan of Del Zotto and I never have been. I don't see his upside. Doesn't mean I'm right.

As far as Trouba, I think the guy can become a player like Karl Alzner with more offensive ability...that's nothing to sneeze at.

I believe, pretty much every Avs fan, before the season started, agreed that our biggest holes on our team was #2 and #3 d-man. I don't believe that MDZ would fill that role on the Avs and I think he'd get exposed on this team with a weak defensive corps AND no real coaching to boot. With Trouba, I believe he'd be able to fill one of those holes within 2 years. (I think he'll be in the NHL starting next season)

It has more to do with individual opinion on prospects and players than anything else. So, for me, if MDZ is going to struggle to be a #3 on this team AND he's the main piece coming back, you can see how that would make me barff.

By the way, Trouba put up 9pts in 7gp at the WJC and has 23pts in 29gp as an 18 year old playing for Michigan so it's not like the kid can't play a solid two-way game.

I don't get why you're even debating this, if you haven't seen him play.

Last edited by Bender: 02-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.