View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I have always loved your automaton zombie theory! The Soviets, because of their fiendish mastery over all cosmic forces, were able to create laboratories in which they took just Average Joes off the streets of Moscow, forced them to lace up skates, and then used them to create a super team so potent that it took the refereeing of Don Koharski to prevent them from claiming unrivaled supremacy over the hockey world. Of course, it had nothing to do with the Soviets being pretty good hockey players!

Putting your theory to work in Canada, you could gather 3rd or 4th line players from AHL teams, and put them together on a national team. After a year or two, an NHL team of Crosby, Stamkos, Nash and whoever else you could name would be helpless against them. Individually, the AHL team would be less than mediocre, but if they play together in a good system, and trained hard, they would have trounced the 2010 Canadian Olympic team. Its a great theory, but you have to use a lot of imagination to envision it.
The Soviets had not just good players, but great players, but on average certainly not the greatest players. The rest of your comments here are just a load of made up bull that I never said, so they are really not worth commenting on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Just one note: the NHL was never involved in the Canada Cup. The tournament was founded, funded, and administered by the NHLPA. NHL players are not on the payroll in the off season, so they are free to do whatever they want. Alan Eagleson was the Director of the NHLPA. He organized and promoted the '72 series and all of the Canada Cups. At the time of the incident that I refenced in the '84 Canada Cup, there were no NHL refs working the Canada Cup - only the refs that Eagleson himself hired. Feel free to refute those facts if you can.
I believe the Canada Cup was sanctioned not only by the NHL, but by the IIHF as well. Off season or not most of the referees were full time NHL refs. To be honest I don't know if they were on multi year contracts or not at the time, but as far as I can tell the NHLPA did not have any say or control over the refs in the NHL. The Canada Cup was a short tournament held every four years or so. If you want to believe that a professional and normally impartial NHL ref would want to abandon his ethics and risk throwing his career and reputation away by conspiring to cheat and fix such a sort and infrequent tournament then believe of us what you will.