View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
The Soviets had not just good players, but great players, but on average certainly not the greatest players. The rest of your comments here are just a load of made up bull that I never said, so they are really not worth commenting on.

I believe the Canada Cup was sanctioned not only by the NHL, but by the IIHF as well. Off season or not most of the referees were full time NHL refs. To be honest I don't know if they were on multi year contracts or not at the time, but as far as I can tell the NHLPA did not have any say or control over the refs in the NHL. The Canada Cup was a short tournament held every four years or so. If you want to believe that a professional and normally impartial NHL ref would want to abandon his ethics and risk throwing his career and reputation away by conspiring to cheat and fix such a sort and infrequent tournament then believe of us what you will.
Like Ebencoye said, its not about abandoning ethics, its really about putting a referee in a position where they have to make home town calls, or live with the consequences. As your own personal writing attests, there was bitter hatred toward the Soviets in the '70's and '80's in Canada and the US. It put too much pressure on Koharski to preside over a game in which a perceived bad call cost Canada the Canada Cup. Andy Van Hellemond, another Canadian, had the courage to call a fair and even game in Game 3 of the Challenge Cup, but in my opinion, Koharski couldn't measure up to Van Hellemond's standard. I don't blame him - its too much pressure. He failed to make a call when someone dragged down Bykov just before he caught up with Lemieux to break up the winning goal, which cost the Soviets the opportunity to take the game to OT. He choked on his whistle, no two ways.