View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't know what to tell you. Do you want me to lie and say "ah yes, I've seen MDZ play on more than 20 different occasions and I love this guy?!?". I call 'em like I see 'em. I'm not a fan of Del Zotto and I never have been. I don't see his upside. Doesn't mean I'm right.

As far as Trouba, I think the guy can become a player like Karl Alzner with more offensive ability...that's nothing to sneeze at.

I believe, pretty much every Avs fan, before the season started, agreed that our biggest holes on our team was #2 and #3 d-man. I don't believe that MDZ would fill that role on the Avs and I think he'd get exposed on this team with a weak defensive corps AND no real coaching to boot. With Trouba, I believe he'd be able to fill one of those holes within 2 years. (I think he'll be in the NHL starting next season)

It has more to do with individual opinion on prospects and players than anything else. So, for me, if MDZ is going to struggle to be a #3 on this team AND he's the main piece coming back, you can see how that would make me barff.

By the way, Trouba put up 9pts in 7gp at the WJC and has 23pts in 29gp as an 18 year old playing for Michigan so it's not like the kid can't play a solid two-way game.

I don't get why you're even debating this, if you haven't seen him play.
I thought we were having just a normal discussion, but now it seems to be going in a different direction. I wasn't trying to be condescending when I said I don't get why you like Trouba and hate MDZ. I just don't understand the priority level. Just like you don't get my stance.

I'm using your comparables on Trouba as the basis of my argument. So you can disagree with me on whether we need those type of players, but not on him being that type of player because it's your comparable.

Also you started off this Trouba discussion saying you can't take at face value that he'll be a top pairing guy, and alluding to all the similar prospects that didn't turn out as hyped. But you take major issue with me saying I'm wary of his offensive potential, and would rather go after a more proven offensive guy.

To me I see an average defensively but good offensive guy in MDZ making a better top pairing with EJ, than a good strong defensive guy that chips in around 20 points. That's a good second pairing. It's not enough offense for a real top pairing IMO, and we're still stuck with trying to get offense from guys playing smaller roles.

That's my reasoning. I don't care if Trouba ends up being better than MDZ, it doesn't help this team as much. They need a youngish offensive defenseman. If they want a solid two way guy, or big mean defensive guy they can find that on the UFA market, or even within their own system in Siemens.