View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Like Ebencoye said, its not about abandoning ethics, its really about putting a referee in a position where they have to make home town calls, or live with the consequences. As your own personal writing attests, there was bitter hatred toward the Soviets in the '70's and '80's in Canada and the US. It put too much pressure on Koharski to preside over a game in which a perceived bad call cost Canada the Canada Cup. Andy Van Hellemond, another Canadian, had the courage to call a fair and even game in Game 3 of the Challenge Cup, but in my opinion, Koharski couldn't measure up to Van Hellemond's standard. I don't blame him - its too much pressure. He failed to make a call when someone dragged down Bykov just before he caught up with Lemieux to break up the winning goal, which cost the Soviets the opportunity to take the game to OT. He choked on his whistle, no two ways.
The 70's and 80's were still at the height of the Cold War, both sides spared no chances to give their sides an advantage in sports (blatant favoritism of Soviet athletes at the Moscow Olympics could be used as a counterpoint if some one really wants to start digging). People need to except that fact and stop making such an issue about it. Stuff happened, both sides were guilty of it, move along.