View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I hate to tell you, it does. Erik Johnson is a very talented player, but he ISN'T the budding player everyone expected when he was drafted number one.

That said and this isn't a knock on Erik Johnson at all. We don't NEED him. The OP might be a Penguin fan, but he doesn't realize that the Pens NEED top six wingers, not another puck moving Dman, a third line guy in Downie and a spare part D man that doesn't make Pittsburgh's top six.

There are names associated with Colorado that make no sense for Pittsburgh and isn't not a knock. No one should ever say ROR to Pittsburgh, or Stastny, or Duchene. They are all centers. We have arguably the top center collection around. Erik Johnson doesn't solve anything as far as needs in Pittsburgh either. None of your Dmen do.

The names that would solve a need are Landeskog (who wouldn't be available and shouldn't because he is a building block for Colorado, not a trade piece), Parenteau, McGinn and if Colorado wants to give Hejduk a chance of winning a Cup before retiring, him. McGinn and Hejduk are the best options, but only if they are available. Then again, we could use a third line upgrade and a healthy Downie would provide that, but we have bigger needs.

The OP did a poor job at asset management for Pittsburgh. The Penguins trade the Maatta type prospects along with picks for a TOP SIX winger, not a puck moving D; third line guy and a spare part. It makes ZERO sense from a Pittsburgh angle as well. It's a deal I wouldn't make if I were the Pittsburgh GM.
His value to pittsburgh isn't the only thing that matters in a trade proposal, it has to be worth it for the Avs to, and the package in the OP is not worth losing EJ for for the Avs, regardless of it not being something Pitt would do either. That's his point and it's an accurate one. The only way the Avs could trade EJ and help their team is if they're getting an even better young dman back.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote