View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Grudy0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
If I had to guess, guys, based on some kind of reasoning (if that has anything to do with anything), I'd say that the issue with the PA perhaps has changed a bit with this new alignment.

First, I think the PA's objection has to do with fairness in competition with 4 unbalanced Conferences.
Which does remain unchanged. IIRC, Fehr mentioned that they didn't like how before the puck dropped on the first game, the odds of making the playoffs in an 8-team conference was 50 percent, while the odds for a 7-team conference were 57 percent.

The only thing that's changed? The odds for making the playoffs in the proposed Eastern Conference is 50 percent, and the odds for making the Western Conference playoffs is 57 percent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Now, I'd suspect that it has more to do with unbalance in travel, as having the Western Conference Divisions with only 7 teams each means that those team then have to travel more outside their Divisions in order to complete their Season schedule. And whereas the West automatically has more distance and Time Zones, then that just adds an additional imbalance in the travel burden.
Remind me, guys, does that proposed schedule back up this idea, or am I totally wrong?
In the NHL-approved December 2011 plan:
the 8-team "Pacific Conference" would have 41 home games, 16 games in the Eastern Time Zone, six games in the Central Time Zone, and 19 games in-conference. The proposed setup basically swaps out three in-conference games for three Central Time Zone games.

the 8-team "Central Conference" would have 41 home games, 14 out-of-conference games in the Eastern Time Zone, 8 out-of-conference games in the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones, and the remaining 19 games in-conference, mainly Central, but with Detroit and Columbus being Eastern Time Zone. The proposed setup removes Detroit and Columbus and adds Colorado, so technically the new "Midwest Division" would reduce a couple of Eastern Time Zone away games in deference to adding a few more Mountain and Pacific games.

the Eastern Time Zone would gain pretty much nothing, as they still would have only a home-and-home against the Western Conference. They just have a little more extra-division, in-conference play in deference to only playing the other "eastern conference" twice per season.

Quote:
Like again, the League will get you one way, or it'll get you another.
It could get interesting, especially if this does have to head to an arbitrator.