View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 04:55 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Does this offer sheet change his UFA status? I was under the impression that ROR was a UFA in 4 years (this year + 3 more), but people on the main board are saying he'd be a UFA once this offer is up. Any clarification would help.

If his UFA status doesn't change, I think we match. Yes it's a steep 6.5M next year for our cheap owners, and negotiations will be difficult with that kind of qualifying offer, but with ROR Calgary's pick isn't guaranteed to be top 10. Plus we still have the opportunity to trade him in 1 year from now, and can potentially get a much better return. Not to mention that he gives us a much better chance at making the playoffs and the best case scenario is to have him on this team for years to come. I know they didn't want to pay him 5M per, but at only 2 years it's not much risk.

Not to mention he would be going to the Flames, who we would have to play several times per year.
It shouldn't, as far as I know. He would be an RFA at the end of that contract (and watch him net 20 points next year and hold out for league max