View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Oh ok. Good point. Homer made a mistake because he could have had a pick that could have turned into a guy who is an extra forward. Instead he got a player that was an extra forward. Thanks for clearing that up for me. But it is a non-issue so by saying that it makes your statement even more true and helps clear up this problem I am having with valuing one fringe NHLer extra forward against a pick that hopefully maybe one day possibly will be a fringe NHLer extra forward.
I'm saying it is bad asset management. If I pay one dollar for a brownie and turn around and sell it for 80 cents, that is bad management. You act like a 6th round pick is worthless. It mostly is. But it is not always. Many players have been successes in late rounds - Halak, Elliot, Tocchet, Rinne, Alferedsson, et al. Sure it's rare, but it is still posible. You act like these picks are meaningless.

There were people that didn't mind getting rid of a first rounder for Steve Emminger because we already had one that round. That logic baffles me. Chaput is nothing special. He may play in the NHL he may not. That possibility is still greater than a player who is not in the NHL. Holmgren exhibits bad asset management more than I'd like him too - the Versteeg deal for example. I recognize that Chaput will never be an All-Star. But he COULD end up being serviceable. I just wish Holmgren managed assets better. Many rich people are rich because they value every dollar. There is something to be said for that. Buy low sell high. It's basic business.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote