View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Phil, Dennis has it right, the Oilers were such a young team in 82 and finished 2nd in the standings and got upset by LA in the first round.

Exactly what was Sather supposed to blow up?

The top 5 scorers on that team were aged 20-21, Fuhr was 19, it wasn't like there was a proven track record of futility there.

Sure the team had it's critics but any of them suggesting that they be blown up would ahve been laughed at.
I think we just have forgotten that because it was so long ago now. I don't know about the term "blow up" the team but there was definitely pressure on Sather to at least change the style of the Oilers. For some reason I can't find a video of that interview on Youtube. Anyway, the way the Oilers played was a purely offensive game. The Islanders were in the middle of their dynasty and the idea was that Gretzky and the Oilers could score and such but they couldn't win with that style. The Islanders had a well rounded team that no one questioned. Gretzky was constantly berated at that time as a guy who could score but couldn't win. So that mindset did exist around the Oilers at that time.