Old
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
This might actually be a good move for both teams... It gives a high pick to COL and CGY gets a major part for their rebuild and he's already in the league.
I think Calgary is taking too much of a risk. They may tell themselves they are just 3 points out of a playoff spot. But they're also 3 points out of 29th place. Losing the 1st would be ok if indeed it was a #8-15 pick. But it could be a #2 pick... or a #2 seed with decent lottery odds. Etc. I guess that helps entice Colorado into not matching, at least.

Past that there is the qualifying offer aspect. $3.5M + $6.5M... so they have to qualify O'Reilly at $6.5M after next season? Or he walks UFA. I mean, O'Reilly is a good player and all, but clearly not yet a $6.5M one, and you are giving him a big hammer to wield if that's his QO.

Sweet deal for O'Reilly, though. Easy to see why he took it. He is going to get lots of money this year with that $2.5M signing bonus. And lots next year. And he'll be in a position to keep getting that $6.5M long-term *OR* be a UFA able to call his own shots.