View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 06:06 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesZoso View Post
I'll be 50 years old in 6 months and I'd like to improve my wind on the ice, as well as my recovery time while on the bench.

Swimming seems to be the most challenging from an agility standpoint, as it requires you to use your entire body. Especially if you use all the different strokes (crawl, breast, side, back, etc.), not to mention the timing and breathing control needed to put it all together. But I rarely see swimming mentioned in conjunction with ice hockey training.
yeah, i'm going to have to go with swimming is not the optimal option, and neither is cycling. those are more prolonged sets, much longer than hockey shifts. swimming also works a lot more of upper body than what your goals call for.

sprints, and hill sprints, are probably the right answer, unless you have knee issues with impact and such. that alone will help recovery on the bench, but if you feel that your shifts are getting better, yet you can't catch your breath on the bench, you can throw in some 1 mile jogs, or 3 10-minute swimming sets once a week or something.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote