View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Also keep in mind Calgary can't draft. They should overhaul their scouting department but that wouldn't help them this year. So they will likely get more out of ROR than they ever would have those two picks. Plus they give him that big qualifying offer for year 3 and I doubt he'd turn it down.
While I'd never support not drafting, Calgary is brutal at it. Since drafting Dion Phaneuf in 2003, Calgary has been been terrible (and they were pretty bad priro to Dion as well). From 2004 to 2012, they drafted 62 players, 17 of which reached the NHL. Of those, only 4 have played 100 NHL games so far, Mikael Backlund, Brandon Prust, Dustin Boyd and Adam Pardy. Boyd and Pardy aren't even in the NHL anymore (Pardy's currently up with Buffalo but was in the AHL until recently). So, in essence, the Flames are batting 2/62 in terms of drafting NHL caliber players thus far, though a few prospects, such as Tim Erixon, still have the jury out and could pan out, and some drafts are still a bit to early to judge, like those from 2012.

Keep in mind that right now, over the past nine drafts, the Flames have just over 25% of their players even play an NHL game. The benchmark for success tends to be around 40%. Typically, teams strive to have at least two players per draft year make it as legitimate NHLers (164 games in a career for a skater (IE two full NHL seasons), 82 for a goalie (one full season)). For those nine years, Calgary has a total of 3 so far. As well, you usually want to land at least one core player (top 6 forward, top four defenseman, starting netminder) per draft. While a few guys, such as Janowski and Erixon, could reach that, thus far not one player draft since Phanuef would be close to reaching the level of a core player.

Statistically, Calgary has by far the worst ratings for prospects. I did a team by team review in last years draft thread that Almeida started and Calgary was terribad, by far the worst drafting team in the league. It was pitiful.