View Single Post
Old
07-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Umm...wow...didn't see this coming...not after Trotz said yesterday that he believed we had the roster we were going to enter training camp with.

I've always liked Domenic Moore and saw him during his time in Hartford. I agree with the poster above that I think he can put up better offensive numbers if not playing with Ortmeyer and Hollweg. He is an excellent penalty killer (was always a threat for a shorthanded breakaway when with Hartford), good on faceoffs, and defensively responsible. The main knocks on him were his size and how easy he was knocked off the puck (which I saw really get bad after the Bertuzzi incident with his brother Steve). I was actually pretty excited when I saw he was coming to Nashville, granted I really had no idea where he was going to fit in with the acquistion of Vasicek yesterday.

Hall and Walker were both the odd men out this summer in Nashville and although I didn't expect to see both traded, I'm not overly surprised. I think Hall will excel with the Rangers and wish him a lot of luck. Paired with Ortmeyer the two of them will not put up too many points, but should be very effective as a checking line.

Pivko notified the Predators at the end of last season that he would be heading to Europe this season and I'm personally not surprised to see him gone as he was not going to get an opportunity as a winger here.

Overall, I think that the Penguins made out good, maybe even best if they can get Pivko to play in the AHL or even compete for a spot in Pittsburgh. Hall will pay immediate dividends for the Rangers and will become a fan favorite IMO with his defensive play. The Predators...they cleared space on the wing for Radulov, Tootoo, and Upshall over the past two days and I think if Radulov needs time in the AHL to start next season, then I would look for Patrick Leahy (who has been billed as a Adam Hall clone with less offense) to battle for the spot previously reserved for Hall. Also, the Predators might be using this as a way to move Smithson to the wing and have Fiddler or Nichol serve as our fourth line center.

I wasn't expecting really more than a third or a fourth round pick for Adam Hall. He is a good player, but not a great player...at least he hasn't shown that yet. This is a salary dump move in many ways. Hall was headed to arbitration and didn't even have a spot on the projected opening night roster. The Predators used this opportunity to move the player to the other conference (same with Walker) and pickup what should still be a relatively high third round pick.

Better than nothing for Nashville, but clearly they look like the losers in this deal because of the lack of anything really tanigble coming back their way. Remember too that Poile has a tendency to trade away picks in years when he thinks the draft is weak and stockpiles picks when he believes the draft is deep.

This week so far has really reminded me that as a fan you must be a fan of the franchise and not solely a fan of the players because this is a business and they come and go without warning.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote