View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't like the way this situation played out, but I dont' fault Sherman for not wanting to give in to O'Reilly's demands to be paid more than Duchene. Especially with what is now obvious he was asking for.

I also hate the return of a potential mid round 1st and 3rd.

The only thing I'm upset with is if there was a good offer on the table, and they didn't take it, but there's no way to find that out.

Otherwise I maintain he has made some good moves, and minor complaints about losing Liles, and injury riddled players like Mueller and Flash aren't that big a deal.
Why was that so obvious? The offer sheet? It was structured in a way to deter the Avs. If anything it's more than what he was reportedly asking for (and according to his agent, denied). That doesn't mean O'Reilly's camp was demanding $9 million over the next calendar year. The offer sheet is not evidence of what they were demanding.

If anything, this just proves that the Avs approach to business is flawed. And it came back to bite them in a BIG way in the form of a disgruntled former employee helping orchestrate an offer sheet for a holdout player. Lacroix's chickens have come home to roost.

If I'm ownership, I look at the way Sherman and Lacroix utterly mishandled this situation and wonder why I should keep two guys who just let the organization get strongarmed into signing a deal for far, far more than what they were willing to offer, and even more than what the player was reportedly demanding.

BTW, those of you who said O'Reilly had no leverage? Guess again.