Thread: JVR The Big Man
View Single Post
Old
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
hobarth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I don't really see the Holmstrom comparison either. Holmstrom is slow, not overly skilled, but unreal in front of the net, makes an art out of screening goalies and jumping on rebounds. JVR uses his size/strength well, and goes to the net, but he's a very different type of player. He's fast, a good puck handler, has a good shot, he's a dynamic and skilled offensive player who also goes to the net. He doesn't seem to be an unreal garbage man (like Holmstrom), but as a big, strong, skilled forward, it's one of the many things he can do well.

As others have mentioned, to me he's much more of a poor man's Rick Nash than a Holmstrom. Calling JVR the next Holmstrom is like calling Karlsson the next Chara just because Karlsson and Chara both have great slappers. Sure, that's one thing they both do well, but overall they're very different players.

Whoever you want to compare JVR to, I think we can all agree that he's been playing great hockey. I'm VERY happy with the trade so far, Schenn wasn't making overly positive contributions here, while JVR has been one of our best players, and a big part of why we've been winning so many games.
I can't remember the last time JVR made a pass to a forward, he has 4 assists in 22 games so he's not generating scoring chances but he is converting opportunities.

He has the same job description as Holmstrom and he does it well but I don't think he's showed much else yet. He's a useful player and that's great but he's scoring and Kessel isn't. Kessel needs to feed him for him to be successful, too bad he can't reciprocate.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote