Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Bobby Smith, C

Position: Centre
HT/WT: 6'4", 210 lbs
Shoots: Left
Born: February 12th, 1958 in North Sydney, NS

- 1-time Stanley Cup Champion - (1986)
- 2-time top-10 in All-Star C Voting (6, 7)
- Won the Calder Trophy in 1979.
- Played in 4 NHL All-Star Games (1981, 1982, 1989, 1991)
- scored 357 goals and 679 assists for 1036 points in 1077 games, adding 917 penalty minutes.
- scored 64 goals and 96 assists for 160 points in 184 playoff games, adding 245 penalty minutes.

Top 10 Finishes:
Assists - 2x - (7, 8)
Points - 1x - (8)
Powerplay Goals - 1x - (2)
Game Winning Goals - 3x - (6, 6, 9)

Voting Record:

Hart Trophy Voting:

10th (81-82)

Selke Trophy Voting:

20th (88-89) 22nd (81-82)

Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roberts
With his size, [Smith] can reach across what looks like half the rink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riggin
If we can shut down Bobby Smith, we shut down their offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Nanne
I was going to make sure we finished last, so I could draft Bobby Smith, the No. 1 player in junior hockey ...

I wouldn't want to see Bobby Smith skating against my team
Quote:
"Instead of four years, I should've signed him to seven ... he's so good" said Lou Nanne as he watched one of Smith's peripheral vision passes to Al MacAdam for another goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sonmor
Bobby Smith is going to put a lot of people in our seats because he is the type of player who will put people off their seats.
Quote:
You have to be around Bobby Smith a long time to gain an appreciation for what he brings to a hockey club. He is not a one-day splash ...
The Montreal Gazette - Jan. 8, 1986

The following article explains Smith doesn't feel like he has to put up points to feel good about winning a game, he'll gladly contribute defensively because he knows it is a very integral part to helping his team win games.

Quote:
Better defence has improved Bobby Smith's scoring

Eleven games into the season, Canadiens centreman Bobby Smith had only scored two goals - both on the power play. He also had eight assists. After his first 19 games, he had four goals and 16 assists. In his last 19 he's scored 12 goals and 18 assists.

That outpouring of productivity has moved people such as Canadiens GM Serge Savard to offer the view that Smith is now playing the finest hockey of his career. Better for example than in his early years with the Minnesota North Stars, when he scored 114 points in one season and was one of the NHL's top scorers.

"in a lot of ways that's true." said Smith. "I feel I'm a more complete player now, and a lot of that can be credited to the way Jacques Lemaire coached the last couple years.

"I'm a better player defensively" he said "A lot of my offence starts in my own end."

"At Minnesota, I was regarded as an offensive player," he said. "They expected me to score a lot of points. I played against other teams' checking lines. It wasn't a great concern of mine to play defensively because the way I was playing was measured by the number of points I scored. That's changed now.

"I take more pride in a 3-1 win now if I feel I've contributed defensively in the game," said Smith. "It doesn't really matter if I get any points."
The Montreal Gazette - Jan. 24, 1985

Quote:
Smith definitely appeared to be in a groove at the time of his injury. He was solidly entrenched as the teams No. 2 centre and was contributing both offensively and defensively.
The Sun - Jan 7, 1986

Quote:
Last year on the defensive-minded Canadiens, Smith usually centred the teams fourth line. But with a new offensive-minded coach, Smith centres the Canadiens' most productive trio.

Smith, who now has 50 points, compared with 56 for all of last season, said the switch to thinking offence instead of defence suits him.

"It (defence) was very satisfying but it wasn't the type of hockey that suited me best. I'm taking a few more chances. Our line has big scorers on it."
Greatest Hockey Legends

Quote:
Bobby was a big part of the Stars return to the playoffs in 1979-80. While battling through an injury shortened 61 games, Smith scored 27 goals and 83 points to lead the Stars to the post season. And the Stars didn't just make the playoffs, but performed great in them, surprising many teams. Smith himself only scored 1 goal but added 13 assists in 15 games. While he took some heat for not scoring more himself, his tremendous playmaking and play without the puck was a huge part of the Stars quick turnaround.

While some were calling the Stars playoff run of 1980 a fluke, Smith and the Stars proved that wasn't so in 1981. The Stars not only duplicated their previous run but bettered it by reaching the Stanley Cup finals against the defending champ New York Islanders. While the upstart Stars were little match to the powerful Islanders, everyone had a new found respect for the youthful Stars, and particularly Bobby Smith who led the team with 25 points (8 goals, 17 assists) in 19 playoff contests.
Quote:
The Stars felt Smith's threat was real and complied with his trade demand. They traded the gigantic forward to Montreal in exchange for Keith Acton, Mark Napier and a draft choice (Ken Hodge Jr.). It was a great match for Smith. Montreal was relatively close to his old stomping grounds in Ottawa. It was also a great experience from a hockey standpoint.

Smith continued to play strong two way hockey for his 6 1/2 seasons in Montreal. But by far his best season would have been 1985-86. He posted 31 goals and 86 points (he posted better numbers - 93 points - in 1987-88 with Montreal) and helped the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup. It was a surprise Cup victory for Montreal and a special feeling for Bobby, as it would be his only Cup championship.

Smith continued to play 3 more seasons in Minnesota. He struggled to post respectable numbers but was a standout as always in the playoffs. In fact in 1992 he helped power the North Stars back to the Stanley Cup finals before bowing out to might Mario Lemieux and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Smith scored 8 goals and 16 points in 23 games. It was almost like the old days a decade earlier.
ourhistory.canadiens.com

Quote:
A BIG-GAME PLAYER, BOBBY SMITH PUT HIS TALENT ON DISPLAY IN MONTREAL, HITTING THE 80-POINT BENCHMARK AS A CANADIEN IN THREE SEPARATE SEASONS.

A gifted playmaker, Bobby Smith stood out for his creativity on the ice as well as his numerous superlative postseason performances.

During his seven-year stay in Montreal, Smith proved to be a potent offensive force. After a memorable junior career in the OHA, where he set a single-season points record and was named 1978ís Player of the Year, the big forward became one of Montrealís most reliable producers.

Smithís playoff statistics reflect his superb springtime performances. His 160 career postseason points are the same number both Gordie Howe and Mike Bossy recorded, placing him among the NHLís all-time top 20.
Total Hockey

Quote:
Smith plays a physical, unselfish game, and he has national league anticipation ...
Who's Who in Hockey

Quote:
Six feet four and smart on the puck ...
NHL Central Scouting, 1978

Quote:
Bobby Smith is an excellent skater who has the agility and coordination of a smaller man ... has exceptional hockey sense ... is a level-headed individual with tremendous potential.
St. Paul Pioneer Press - Feb. 5, 1992

Quote:
Hockey fans who follow the Minnesota North Stars are familiar with the long reach of Bobby Smith, who uses that advantage to guard the puck from opponents

Last edited by Velociraptor: 03-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote