03-01-2013, 09:47 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Killion,

I totally agree with this analysis.

Concerning Bettman: He is a lawyer. He wants to have all the information and everyone else have none. It's not an insult to him, it's just the way lawyers tend to be and think.

Concerning everything else: I believe in the next 2 decades we will see a lot of things crashing in the NHL. As a league, they have always gone for the quick fix. So, an expansion team to Columbus because someone will pay the fee. Now, I have nothing against Columbus. However, if the team cries that they have to be in the East Conference to survive, it suggests that it might not have been the right place in the beginning. St Louis sells for a small amount, really, given that the team has been there 40+ years. Phoenix is a comedy of short-sighted errors. And, then, surprisingly, they endure a half-season lockout to get a new CBA, and the provisions in the new CBA with respect the Floor/Cap gap are such that we can all predict that they will have the same problems again in a few years. Toronto and Montreal and New York will grow revenue, the smaller market teams won't be able to keep up, they will have to spend to the floor and lose $$ doing it. It seems poor management.

With the slow economic recovery in the states, it seems logical to me that this parade can't continue. I am not sure what form it will take, but it looks like a lot of potential crumbling to me.

OK, but, the league is making records revenues...

This is what the BOG is looking for, in the process of selling their franchises. Pro sports is not about operating franchise: its about buying em and selling em later with big profit$.

So they don't care a second about what's happening in 10, 15, 20 years.

Also, don't forget Bettman is well aware of how thirsty the canadian market is for his show. CBC, TSN etc will pay whatever he wants to have the "privilege" of broadcasting this rather dull show. He knows it and have total control on them, providing fresh cash flow from north to south.

Bettman could close TSN/RDS if he wants. Mini-putt tournaments and ping pong as major shows? Yeah right. BIRDIEEE!

Ask the former CBC president how Bettman negociates when time comes to renew TV deals.

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 03-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.