Thread: Proposal: Detroit/Edmonton
View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 10:21 AM
wingfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
How would this adress all of our issues? An ok d-man but not really the top 4 guy we need. A center who could turn out good but still hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. And finally a 2nd round pick which could turn into an ok player, but second rounders are far from safe picks and usually takes their time to develop and while being far from win-now mode we're not in collecting picks-mode.

I like Sheehan and wouldn't mind him in another trade, but the trade you suggest for our top scorer doesn't really get us anywhere imo.

It's always tricky to speculate in a players' value, but a skilled player like Hemsky should be able to fetch better value, especially around deadline considering quite a few possible playoff teams are struggling offensively and on the PP.
The Oilers aren't desperate to trade Hemsky, we're not hoping for a deep playoff run, so we can wait for a slight overpayment and since there are a bunch of teams in need of skill, there's a pretty good chance for that to happen.

If he's not traded at the deadline he has one year left on his contract, we can trade him during the summer, trade him as a rental the following season or resign him, it's not like he's hurting the team even though I think for the team going forward a trade is our best bet. The Oilers are in a pretty strong position with Hemsky now that he's finally healthy.

We're also fine for cap and in the standings we're pretty much where we should be so we don't have to seek out trades despite what some of my fellow Oiler fans might think.
There we go. Excellent response and insight into the Oilers situation.

What would it then take? Nyquist? Andersson maybe? He's been playing 3C for us and doing very well, but when Helm comes back there just isn't enough room for him.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote