View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
As I showed earlier in the thread the Soviets of the late 1980's and early 1990's were still experiencing team success as they had for the two decades prior. Obviously the players who were adults in the early 90's were developed during Soviet times. I never said the late 80's was the peak period for USSR hockey, but relatively speaking they were not far off. As I have said all along the Soviets had great players and a great development program but their limiting factor has always been their infrasctructure and the number of kids they have playing the sport.
Ever since I started posting a couple of years ago, I have noticed that you are absolutely obsessed with this issue of how easy it was for the Soviets, using a tiny amount of resources and a tiny percentage of the total talent pool, to become fully equal to Gretzky, Lemieux, LaFleur, Messier, Bourque, Coffey, and the other best players in Canadian hockey history; and to meet them on the ice face-to-face and force them to what was essentially a draw on their home ice. The Soviets exposed these heroes for what they are and were - great players in their own country, but no better than players from other countries who have a similar hockey structure and devote some effort to it. As many times as the NHL and Canada tried, under as many formats designed to give them the decisive advantage, they were never able to separate themselves from the Soviets. They were never able to demonstrate that "we're better than these guys." All of these series (look at the records yourself) were absolutely even, with Canada winning the home controlled Canada Cup by half a hair on a mouse's head. Since the record is permanent, nothing you can say or imply will make the facts go away.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote