View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Crayton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
Columbus really needs to go to the Eastern Conference. Pittsburgh is about 140 miles away. Pittsburgh plays nine games against the Western Conference in their arenas, meaning their lucky to play six games two or more hours away in a given season. Columbus (and Detroit) play 16 games two or more hours away. That will generally hurt ratings and attendance. Neither gets hurt badly when a team is doing well; both can be hurt when a team is doing poorly (Columbus) or uncertainty hangs over the franchise (Phoenix).The attendance figures were posted at one point during one of these realignment threads that have popped up over the past 18 or so months. Carolina's best home attendance is when their opponents are from the Eastern Conference teams north of them and Detroit, and the more north the better. I recall that Buffalo, Boston and the Northeast Canadian teams were like five of their top six draws.

This is my scenario:
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Pacific: ANA LA SJ PHX - CGY COL EDM VAN
Central: CHI DAL DET MIN NSH STL WPG

Matrix: two games against everyone, rest of games divisional -
Pacific: 2 games / 22 opponents - 44 games, 38 games in-division (3x6, 4x5) (if Coyotes go to Seattle, Colorado and Seattle swap places in the pod)
Central: 2 games / 23 opponents - 46 games, 26 games in-division (6x6)

Keeps Detroit in the West in the format they like
This is, if rumors are correct, the exact format that no Western team vetoed except Columbus isn't in the Central

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Northeast: BOS BUF CAR CLB MTL OTT TOR
Atlantic: FLA NJD NYI NYR PHI PIT TB WAS

All scheduling: 2 games / 15 opponents - 30 games, 52 games in-conference. I don't care how it's done, just prefer that more divisional than non-divisional, just like this year.

The East gets their "cushy" travel schedule not leaving the ETZ but has to fly all over the eastern seaboard for their games, as they do now.
I don't care if the playoffs here qualify by division or by conference
I like all of this, but got rid of your playoff thing. The West should definitely be two rather segregated divisions (conferences?). That is how I would do it.

And the East... I too am in agreement that you could do whatever. 2 divisions or just stick Columbus into the current Southeast. Play 3-ish games against the conference and 5 or 6 against your division.

If the league and NHLPA wouldn't mind a 14-16 split (which is still better than a 7-7-8-8 split), then you could even keep both Detroit and Columbus in the East and consider a 4-division (within the EC) setup. With 32 teams, divisions of 4 or 8 are the eventuality (whether that is 5 or 25 years from now).