Thread: Salary Cap: The Free Agents
View Single Post
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Each team has 2 compliance buyouts. If you don't use it this summer (2013), you have to use it next summer or they'll expire (essentially). If Montador and Olesz are both healthy, they'll both be compliance boughtout. The only way Montador isn't bought out is if, for some reason, a team wants to trade for him.. but, given his concussion history, that would likely scare away teams looking to get to the cap floor because it serves them no good to have Montador on LTIR.
They have after this season AND next season to use the two buyouts. Some teams are going to be in "cap hell" and there will be opportunities to really use buyouts in more creative ways. I don't want both buyouts burned unless it's going to be done to make room for a forward that would be considered the 4th or 5th best on the team at least.

If there is good reason to believe that Montador's career is not in jeopardy, I don't think his cap hit (in relation to real value) is big enough to justify buying him out unless a very big opportunity presents itself. If he gets another concussion he goes to LTIR and he will not significantly hinder player movement. If not, his contract will have value one way or the other since his salary is significantly lower than his cap hit to finish his contract.

Anyway, I want them to save the buyout for the sake of a high end opportunity, not just to retain a bottom 6 forward. I don't see them being able to land any of the big pending UFAs this year.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote