View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 03:06 PM
leftwinger37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Expect the rough stuff, doesn't mean it's always going to be there but when you go into the corners be prepared for impact, when the score is out of hand be prepared for chippy play and when the refs are having a bad day and let everything go be ready for anything. Expecting every hockey player to be a nice, cordial gentlemen is not really grasping how human beings act on or off the ice. Saying it needs to be removed from the game looks real nice on paper but it's incredibly unrealistic.
Solid points. I've always been of this mindset and I feel like it's something that's lost on most players nowadays. You have accept some responsibility to assess situations and prevent yourself from becoming vulnerable. Yes, it sucks that it has to be that way and yes, there are some situations that are unavoidable, but that's life.

A couple of years ago, my team was running up the score in a playoff game and we could see the other team was starting to get frustrated. We starting backing off a little because we had the game in hand and their season was effectively over, but I had a feeling that something was going to happen. What I didn't know was that some guy on the other team (he was probably about 6'3" 250 lbs, I am 6'1" 210 lbs) was going to randomly grab me by the earloops and start using my skull like a heavy bag. Unprovoked? Yes. Unfair? You betcha. But I'll tell you what, the ref certainly wasn't about to step in front of this guy whether fighting was legal or not.

Whether on the ice or in every day life, crimes are commited because some people do not have any regard for the rules in the heat of the moment.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote