View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 06:01 PM
iceberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Give me some credit here guys. Was I right, or was I right?

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspeci...vs-need-change

Botched Ryan O'Reilly deal proves Avs need change at top

The Avalanche have center Ryan O'Reilly back in the fold (AP)
Great news! The Avalanche finally signed its top scorer, in the nick of time for the playoff push. Ryan "Factor" O'Reilly is back! So why did general manager Greg Sherman look about as happy as if his pet goldfish just died?

Maybe it was because Sherman's NHL career also got buried under the avalanche of a $10 million deal he never saw coming. How can he possibly survive as the Avs' G.M. after this blunder?

"Sometimes," said Sherman, not smiling once during the five minutes he took to welcome O'Reilly back to the Avs, "the process takes a little longer than you would expect or would want."

Let's be honest: Colorado management wanted O'Reilly gone far away from Denver, with the team privately bad-mouthing both the player and his family. Now, the Avs are stuck with paying the popular 22-year-old center at least 40 percent more than a previous take-it-or-leave-it proposal, all because the Calgary Flames broke NHL etiquette and stuck Colorado with a hefty offer sheet.

"If that's the way they want to do their business," a sullen Sherman said, "that's their right."

The Avalanche matched the offer, but didn't look happy about it.

The bottom line: Dilly-dallying instead of closing a trade to bring a top four defenseman to Colorado in return for O'Reilly, the Avalanche let their payroll structure be set by a general manager in Calgary, of all people.

Once the most feared franchise in the NHL, the Avs now could, and maybe should, be the laughingstock of hockey.

Great article by Kiszla... Unfortunatelly too many blinded fans around here can't take the truth.

Last edited by Frenchy: 03-01-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: see previous quote
iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote