View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yeah, I like Gomez too much. I think he's crazy underrated by Bayern fans because they're mis-remembering certain details of last season's CL final - as in, Robben and Schweinsteiger playing horribly and leaving Gomez isolated and triple-marked and Jupp forgetting that set pieces are a thing.

Gomez is better than Madzu and he's better than Lewandowski - we don't need Lewandowski and I hope he stays in the Bundesliga for the good of the league.
I agree that Gomez gets too bad a reputation for a lot of things. But at the same time, it has to be recognized - he isn't really better than Mandzukic all things considered. He's a better pure goalscorer, by a fair bit. But Bayern being as good as they have been this year has a lot to do with Mandzukic being the player he is. He's involved, he's the first guy pressuring the opposing defensemen, and almost sets the tone for our aggressive pressing that happens all over the field. Gomez isn't capable of the work or the work rate against the ball Mandzukic puts in every time, almost all over the pitch. He would likely still be the more productive (in terms of goalscoring) player than Mandzukic is right now, but the way we're playing, he isn't capable of making this team as good as it is with Mandzukic in it. It's just a matter of the right fit for the system.

Last edited by Vipers31: 03-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.