Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
With his albatross contract he has much less trade value than one would think. The Rangers might have to take on someone else's mistake in return.

I think it's much more likely that he'll be bought out as the second compliance buyout rather than traded.
No, I think we'll have a trade partner, desperate enough for a 1C to absorb his contract. Look at Jay Feaster's comments on Richards, drooling at the thought that he was that close to getting him:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames surprised a lot of NHL observers by being one of the last teams standing in the Brad Richards sweepstakes on July 1.

But Flames general manager Jay Feaster believes that when a talent like Richards becomes available, you have to pounce.

"Elite, number-one line centres are tough to come by and certainly very, very difficult to acquire by way of trade," Feaster told Steve Kouleas on That's Hockey on Thursday. "Brad was somebody that, obviously, I knew very well from our time together in Tampa and it made a lot of sense."

The move didn't end up working out in Calgary's favour, with Richards signing to join the Rangers on Broadway, but going all-in to lure him to Calgary was all part of Feaster's new strategy for turning the troubled team around.

"I think that it would have been an incredibly dynamic line that we could have put together here in Calgary," he said.
Sather will trade Richards for Bartschi, Horak and a 1st this offseason.