View Single Post
03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I really love couturier but I would THINK about it if I were homer, depending on what young defenseman you could get for him.

Let's say you trade Couturier for Tyler Myers, I'd draft Anthony Mantha with our 1st, because i really think hes a guy who can step into an nhl club immediately and be fine. then buyout Briere and sign perry...

But honestly, I think you need guys like couturier to win. I think he can be an elite shut down C in the nhl, and I think Laughton is going to be a good player, but I think couturier is better. I'd rather trade something like Laughton+ for Runblad or Gormley and then draft either another defenseman or a winger this year.
Take it for what it's worth, but in Scott Laughton's 5 game rookie trial, 0 goals were scored while he was on the ice. Thats during a little over 57 mins of game time. Having followed Laughton's career, I think he's a little more advanced defensively in juniors than Couturier was. The only thing that Couturier has on Laughton IMO (other than offensive ability) is size, which could end up being a factor. I'm not an advocate of trading Couturier for junk or for a medocre D like JayBo or Brian Campbell, but if the right deal came along, I'd be comfortable moving him.

I really think in the end that Couturier has so much more potential that he'll be allowed to realize in Philly playing only the #3 shutdown C role. And I also think that Laughton can step in and be an elite defensive forward too. Laughton will never have the offensive ability of Couturier, but as the #3C we don't really need him to. To liken this to Pittsburgh's situation, I'd say Couturier is our Staal and Laughton is our Sutter. Couturier is nice, but he's a luxury as a 3C and we're never going to use him to his fullest, so it would be a skillful use of resources if we could turn that luxury into a #1D or an elite scoring winger, both of which we lack at the moment.