View Single Post
Old
07-20-2006, 08:32 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
you have me there Mcphee my only memories of the pocket rocket was as a very fast and elusive player in the late 60's early 70's. I also recall him as being very classy and a statesman cut from the same cloth as Le Gros Bill. I could not picture him being angry enough to throw a punch at someone. But I'll take your word for it you've proven me wrong in the past.
The story I told was well before my time, just legend that I read about. I think of Henri Richard as the definition of what it meant to play for the CH. He made the team would few thought he could. He was as fierce a competitor as his brother, and always wore his heart on his sleeve. In my mind, he was a bit more emotional than Beliveau.

I remember him specifically in 2 fights. He got into it with Eddie Shack, they were gripping each others sweaters when Shack head butted him. A point of contention in those days, a 40 page thread today. The other was the Rangers Vic Hadfield challenging JC Tremblay. Tremblay wanted no part of Hadfield and started to back away. I think this embarassed Henri because he jumped in front of JC and fought Hadfield. He took a beating but he wouldn't back away from anyone.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote