Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM
View Single Post
03-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Originally Posted by
Agree, but why they were in such a rush to match still bugs me. If someone has 7 days to decide, I'd hope they would at least take 1. It was not like the sheet was 5yrs for 15m. Then I could see jumping on it so quickly.
I don't honestly see that as a big deal either. It would be silly to think they hadn't explored the potential offer sheet situation, with at least a few different pay rates. Probably got the ok from the Kroenke's ahead of time. They just had to weight the options with the way the salary was structured in Feaster's deal, versus taking a gamble on where Calgary's 1st and 3rd rounders would end up. To me it's pretty obvious. I wouldn't have taken the deal either.
By matching quickly, they show other GM's they won't be pushed around with offer sheets. It isn't a distraction all week. It gets O'Reilly back in the lineup sooner.
And most importantly, if they had waited there's a chance next year's trade deadline could be sooner than March 7th or whatever date they waited to, and they won't have the option to trade him next season.
They already knew well in advance what they would do, so why wait just for the sake of waiting, and potentially causing all those things to happen?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Foppa2118