View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 07:38 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.
sorry, but any class that has you rereading the material again after the lecture +4 hours of working problems just to understand what is going on is "hard." having to reread the chapter again and work another 4 hours if you don't get it after that is "hard."

50% of the best students in the country failing would also = hard in my mind. unless they all had mid to high 80 percentile scores or above and were simply failing because of a curve - gotta love those sadistic professors.

just out of curiosity, if that wasn't hard, what does qualify as hard?