View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
It's only hard because they always get matched, there's nothing that can be done about that.
I don't believe that there's a mass exodus of RFA's being signed to offer sheets by other teams and then leaving their original teams in any pro sport. Seems like the NBA and NFL have similar team options to the NHL's where the RFA's current team has a window of time to match the offer sheet and retain the player. I know some NFL and NBA players have changed teams as RFA's, but most re-sign. I do like the concept of teams getting the first crack at retaining their own talent during the RFA stage.

Seems like it's the NHL's culture to match the offer sheet most of the time, which is insane to just do b/c everyone else is doing it. The Avs screwed the pooch by matching this one, and I don't blame the Flames for going for ROR (the whole "subjected to waivers" thing is a different animal ). I'd like to think that if a team offer sheeted a player like Flip, and we have guys who seem capable of replacing his production on the roster or on the way up, that KH wouldn't just match for the sake of matching. But he probably would.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote