View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
It's actually not as bad as people say, and I say that as someone who took the honors o-chem series at Berkeley.

The trick is this:
1) keep up with your reading ... especially good to read up on the lecture material the same evening ... most important is to understand why things react the way they do, more so than memorizing specific reactions.
2) do as many practice problems as you can ... I spent every Saturday from 8 to noon in the library working problems. If I had trouble, I'd re-read the text that weekend, and try more problems Monday night.
3) go to every ******* class, and pay attention with laser-like focus no matter how early in the morning it is, take the best notes you've ever taken. You can sleep when you're dead.

In a class where it was 200 of the best chem students in the country, the mean was still only 55% ... and 50% was failing. But by doing what I suggested, I aced that damn class. Took 10 damn years off my life expectancy, but I did it. It's not that the material is hard, I'm certainly not some chem genius ... it just takes hard work and repetition, perhaps more than any other class.
This really is the key. But it's something you just get a feel for after lots of reps.