View Single Post
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Name past (and current) players who were better than their stats indicated

Okay name some past players who you think were better than their stats indicated and are the types of players that you almost had to see to appreciate. Past names I'll throw out there include:

Serge Savard - Rarely made a mistake playing defense. On paper you'll look and see other players - even his teammates rack up more Norrises or all-star selections but Savard quietly made his stamp on that dynasty despite getting overshadowed. However, a fan who watched Montreal time and time again would appreciate Savard.

Grant Fuhr - Had a GAA higher than you would like but very much a product of the run and gun system of the Oilers. In fact Fuhr's reliability let them play that way.

And just to venture a guess here, in the future people who didn't see some current stars play might raise an eyebrow a bit at their stats and wonder. Here is a prime example of a player who I think is someone you need to watch to appreciate more:

Jonathan Toews - Never exceeded 76 points in a season. Never has had a point a game in a season. Has a career 0.90 PPG though with a Conn Smythe winning Cup victory. Yet he is a lot like Serge Savard as a forward. Rarely makes a mistake on the ice, always seems to be involved in a victory, is a clutch performer and is defensively responsible as well as good on faceoffs. Put it this way if your team is up 2-1 with a minute to go you want Toews on the ice. If your team is down 2-1 with a minute to go you want Toews on the ice. I think he could have a spike season on of these years where he cracks 100 points, if only once, but I have my money on him as a future HHOFer and I think the people who will watch him in this generation will agree despite not having as sexy of stats.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote