View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
The Ott deal wasn't a worry. Ott looked like he was on his way to being a regular 20 goal scorer. Sadly, he OT too big dr his britches and fell in love with being pesky.

Overall, though it jut seems like you are overstating how much differently a real rebuild would have looked over the past few years. This team made no effort to improve its roster from the time Nieuwy arrived until July of last year. It was forced into a default rebuild by attrition. Sadly, the farm was empty, so we saw a long list of bad players and retreads take up space while a newer crop of useful youth just now arrived.
We're just going to disagree on this. Saying it looked like Ott was on his way to being a regular 20 goal scorer is what I'm talking about with unrealistic internal analysis. I have no doubt Nieuwendyk agreed with your assessment based on the fact that he signed him to a contract of a 20 goal scorer. Ott had a couple good years with inflated goal totals due to who he was playing with. His numbers speak more to Ribeiro's ability to elevate lower level talent than anything about Steve Ott.

In any case, at the 2010 deadline Ott would have been one of the more coveted players at the deadline. That bare prospect cupboard could have taken a little boost there, instead the team that played some of the worst hockey of any in the league post-Olympic break somehow thought they were on the path to the playoffs. It was unrealistic.

Yes, I'm harping on that one player/season but really the point is that there were numerous times that Nieuwendyk could have gone one way and he went the other. Every single time. Even this latest trade with Ryder is just baffling, unless you believe Erik Cole is the difference between making or not making the playoffs in 2013-14.

I've given Nieuwendyk the benefit of the doubt in a lot of situations. I'm over it because to me it's clear he doesn't know how to bring together long term and short term plans. He shoots from the hip and misses the target entirely as often as he gets close to the bulls-eye.