View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 06:06 AM
wunderpanda
don't get shutout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
There were plenty of rumors about them being willing to sell for $500MM back in the fall ... so no one in Sac was blindsided by the team being for sale. No one stepped up to make an offer except Chris Hansen.
People stepped up, Burkle for one, the Maloofs refused to sell and declared the Kings weren't for sale then signed the deal with Hansen after the Virginia Beach deal fell thru. People were blindsided because the Maloofs kept saying the team wasn't for sale.

I'm not positive on what the story was in Seattle when they sold, but a few things were clear to me. They were sold after the owner tried to negotiate an arena deal for 2 years. There was a vote prohibiting the use use of public funds to build a new arena but they had also just partially funded 2 new stadiums. The team remained in Seattle as the new owner tried (not sure how hard he tried) for a year or two to reach an arena deal. Stern even corrected the revisionist history at the NBA All Star game.

I'm not saying the Kings won't relocate, just that its not the same scenario as when the Sonics left.