View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 05:58 AM
brian70

vCash: 500
Always interesting to watch a rookie GM make his first moves. We all expect Kekalainen to keep all of his picks and build around development. That's pretty much his motto. Bergevin, on the other hand, is a dark horse. He learned a lot in Chicago, surrounded himself with competent men in Montreal, but he's still totally green.

I just cannot see him making the final decision on his own. In fact, I'm assuming that trade (or the consent if that exact proposal came for the Stars) might have been suggested and approved by the people around him namely Dudley, Mellanby, Carriere and Therrien. I believe Bergevin would need to make a few more transactions before being judged.

My concern about this trade is the philosophy embraced by the new management when taking over. Grit, toughness accounted for the hiring of Prust, Armstrong, Bouillon and four years of Moen. Getting rid of a power forward for a sniper not known for his physicality is a contradiction with the new culture.

Two more years at $4.5M for a power forward is not so much worse than four years at $2.5M for a 3rd-4th line energy winger. They had to think he couldn't get his game back to make this bold move.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote