View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 08:30 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I know that. But I want him to tell me why he thinks so. Give him enough rope to hand himself.
Gionta is paid too much to be "a hard worker" and waste top6 minutes with Perry in the fold. Simple as that.

Yes he's my spacegoat for the year but that doesn't mean that his caphit will be manageable with 7-8m added on by Perry. Gionta doesn't bring nearly enough anything to be on the roster in a top6 role, and he'll be overpaid by at least 2m if he's playing 3rd line minutes.

Bourque - Pleks - Perry
Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

leaves no room for Brain "work ethic" Gionta. Then there's Eller and Desharnais knocking at the door, and Desharnais has a tendency to only work with Pacioretty so that leaves:

Bourque - Pleks - Perry
Patches - Desharnais - xXxXxX
xXxXxX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

And you can't have Gionta play next to DD OR Gallagher for any extended period of time because they'd get wrecked eventually so that kinda forces your hand into:

Patches - Desharnais - Perry
Bourque - Pleks - Gionta
xXxXxX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Even though the DD line will get run over defensively, the Pleks line will struggle offensively and the Gallys will deserve more icetime... leading to a demotion:

Patches - Desharnais - Perry
Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Moen - Pleks - Gionta

Would you spend ~12M on the 3rd line, when your first line can't handle any defensive duties and your second line is green as hell? No.

Gionta doesn't fit.