View Single Post
Old
03-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's fine. But when you say you are "tired of old players" and that there are a lot of "dinosaurs" on the team, the only thing that I, and anyone else (unless they are a mind reader), can take from that is that you think the team has too many old players. It would have been impossible for me to know he was defining those words in any other way. If he meant there are a lot of useless contracts given to guys past their prime, he should have said that.
Read between the lines. No way I could have meant extinct aging players by using the term dinosaur. That's such a mental jump, no one could be expected to make it. No one. God rest your soul for trying. It's only the kind of inference an 11th grader in expected to make reading Watership Down.

Quote:
I think if you look at the rest of the league, you will see that these types of players are in every organization. Some slightly worse than on the Flyers, some slightly better. But a handful of contracts given out to aging veterans and some guys in their early 30s that aren't that good is the norm. I'd like to see young guys get a chance too...when they are ready. Putting a guy out there who is 21 but sucks is essentially the same as putting someone out there who is 31 who sucks. The difference is with the 31 year old you know he can handle the rigors of the NHL. It is silly to take a young kid and put him in simply because he is young and deserves a chance. If he can play, they would put him in. If he can't, they'll put someone else in. Gus is playing now (when not injured), same with McGinn. Akeson, Noebles, Manning, and others on the Phantoms, though younger than some of the players currently playing, might not be better. Knuble is way past his prime. I agree. But that doesn't mean that [insert young player here] would have been better.
I mostly agree, but inserting all these plugs is a symptom of the Flyer's virtually bare cupboard which is ticking me off recently. Nor it is true that necessarily a 31 year old vet will handle the league better than the young guy who deserves a chance. It is only "silly" if he isn't ready.

Case in point: If Knuble is in ahead of McGinn.